The Rudrashtadhyayi contains eight chapters that originated from the Shukla Yajur Veda, which are especially beloved to Lord Shiva.
- The 1st chapter requests Lord Shiva to bless us with his firm determination.
- The 2nd chapter contains the famous “Purusha Shukta” in praise of the Supreme Being.
- The 3rd chapter worships Shiva in the form of the spiritual warrior Indra, the Rule of the Pure.
- Chapter 4th worships Shiva as Surya, the Light of Wisdom.
- Chapter 5th is well known as the Namakam, where we bow to the many manifestations of Lord Shiva.
- Chapter 6th we ask Shiva for blessings.
- Chapter 7th we make offerings to his various manifestations.
- The 8th chapter is famous as the Chamakam describing the divine characteristics of Shiva that are within us. The final chapter asks for peace and offers peace.